Monday 21 January 2013

My First Brush With A Cheetah, Okonjima August 2008

On my first visit aged fourteen, I spent a day at Africat, helping out with Leprechaun the cheetah.

Me with Leprechaun
Leprechaun was an elderly male cheetah living permanently at Okonjima (who has probably expired by now...) who was darted and brought in for a vaccination and a brief check up. Whilst he was still heavily under the influence of the dart, I groomed him. It may surprise anybody who knows about cats to learn that cheetah are quite dirty; whilst most cats groom fastidiously, Leprechaun's fur was full of matts and burrs, he was covered in flies, and absolutely stank. I was able to get some of the tangles out with a wire brush, and exorcise the flies with fly powder.

The reason for this unusaul behaviour is that cheetah are not actually very cat-like; in the feline family tree, they occupy a separate branch from the rest of all other cats. In many respects they are almost more dog-like, with slack hygeine standards, straight, slim bodies and limbs, and dog-like feet with un-retractable claws. Their most definitively feline feature is their skull shape.

All these features make cheetah highly adapted to speedy travel. I will explain each feature and its function in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment